UserTesting is a popular platform that provides businesses with an opportunity to get feedback on their products and services from real people. The company was founded in 2007 and has since gained a reputation as one of the leading user testing platforms on the market. However, there have been concerns about the legitimacy of UserTesting, with some people questioning whether it is a legitimate platform or a scam. In this blog, we will explore the controversy surrounding UserTesting’s legitimacy and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about whether or not to use the platform.
What is UserTesting?
UserTesting is a platform that allows businesses to get feedback on their products and services from real people. Companies can use the platform to conduct user testing, surveys, and other types of research to better understand their target audience and improve their products.
The process of using UserTesting is straightforward. Businesses submit a request for a test, specifying the type of test they want to conduct, their target audience, and the questions they want to ask. UserTesting then sends the test to a pool of qualified testers who match the business’s target audience. The testers complete the test and provide feedback, which the business can use to improve its products and services.
There are different types of user testing that businesses can conduct on UserTesting. For example, moderated user testing involves a moderator who asks the tester questions and observes their behavior while they complete a set of tasks. Unmoderated user testing, on the other hand, involves testers completing a set of tasks on their own while recording their screen and providing feedback on their experience.
The Controversy Surrounding UserTesting’s Legitimacy
There have been criticisms of UserTesting, with some people questioning its legitimacy. Some of the most common criticisms of the platform include issues with payment, limited tests, and unpredictable availability.
One criticism of UserTesting is that it does not pay testers enough for the time and effort they put into completing tests. Testers can earn anywhere from $4 to $90 per test, depending on the complexity of the test and the time required to complete it. However, some testers have reported that they do not receive payment for completed tests, or that they are not paid in a timely manner.
Another criticism of UserTesting is that there are a limited number of tests available. Testers have reported that they often go weeks or even months without receiving a test, which can be frustrating for those who rely on UserTesting as a source of income.
Finally, some testers have reported that the availability of tests is unpredictable. While some testers receive multiple tests in a week, others receive no tests at all.
Despite these criticisms, there are also defenders of UserTesting who argue that the platform is legitimate. UserTesting’s business model is based on providing businesses with a cost-effective way to get feedback on their products and services. To ensure the quality of its tests, UserTesting requires testers to meet certain qualifications, such as having a clear speaking voice and a fast internet connection. UserTesting also has quality control measures in place to ensure that testers are completing tests accurately and providing useful feedback to businesses.
Alternatives to UserTesting
If you’re not sure if UserTesting is the right platform for you, there are other user testing platforms available. Here are some of the best alternatives to UserTesting:
- TryMyUI – TryMyUI offers unmoderated user testing, moderated user testing, and mobile user testing. Testers can earn up to $10 per test and tests typically take between 15 and 20 minutes to complete.
- Userlytics – Userlytics offers unmoderated user testing, moderated user testing, and remote user testing. Testers can earn up to $90 per test and tests typically take between 30 and 60 minutes to complete.
- Userfeel – Userfeel offers unmoderated user testing and moderated user testing. Testers can earn up to $10 per test and tests typically take between 10 and 20 minutes to complete.
- Validately – Validately offers unmoderated user testing, moderated user testing, and remote user testing. Testers can earn up to $100 per test and tests typically take between 5 and 30 minutes to complete.
When choosing an alternative to UserTesting, it’s important to consider the different payment models, target audiences, and testing methods that are available. Some platforms may be better suited to certain types of businesses or projects, so it’s important to do your research and find the platform that best meets your needs.
Tips for Conducting User Testing as a UserTesting Contributor
If you’re a UserTesting contributor, conducting user testing can be a valuable way to earn extra income. Here are some tips for conducting effective user testing as a UserTesting contributor:
- Read the instructions carefully: Before conducting a test, it’s important to read the instructions carefully. Make sure you understand what you need to do and what you need to provide feedback on.
- Pay attention to the purpose of the test: It’s important to understand the purpose of the test so that you can provide useful feedback. If you’re not sure what the purpose of the test is, ask the moderator for clarification.
- Complete the practice test: UserTesting offers a practice test to help you understand the process of conducting a test. Make sure you complete the practice test before conducting a real test.
Conducting the Test
- Follow the instructions: It’s important to follow the instructions that you were given. If you deviate from the instructions, your feedback may not be useful.
- Speak clearly and think out loud: UserTesting requires you to speak out loud while conducting a test. Make sure you speak clearly and provide detailed feedback on your experience.
- Complete the test in a quiet environment: UserTesting requires you to complete tests in a quiet environment. Make sure you find a quiet space where you can focus on the test.
Submitting the Test
- Review your test before submitting: Before submitting the test, review your feedback to ensure that it’s clear and concise.
- Respond to feedback from the moderator: If the moderator has questions about your feedback, make sure you respond in a timely manner.
By following these tips, you can conduct effective user testing as a UserTesting contributor and earn extra income.
Conclusion for UserTesting Contributors
As a UserTesting contributor, conducting user testing can be a valuable way to earn extra income. While there have been concerns about the legitimacy of UserTesting, the platform is a legitimate way for businesses to conduct user testing and improve their products and services.
If you’re a UserTesting contributor, it’s important to read the instructions carefully, pay attention to the purpose of the test, and complete the practice test before conducting a real test. When conducting a test, make sure you follow the instructions, speak clearly and think out loud, and complete the test in a quiet environment.
When submitting the test, review your feedback before submitting and respond to any feedback from the moderator. By following these tips, you can conduct effective user testing as a UserTesting contributor and earn extra income.
Leave a Reply